Interview with Kimberley Wright - Makeup Artist

Hey lovelies,

Today I'm interviewing my good friend Kimberley, who has always has the most impeccable makeup and the shiniest longest hair I've ever seen (tell me your secrets, Pip!). Keep reading to find out more about her.



Tell me a bit about you! I would have to say I am quite an interesting person when it comes to where I am from. I don't really say there is a place I am from because I moved on average every three years while growing up. These days I reside in the Waikato area, which is where I am most familiar. I work full time these days at Life Pharmacy, trying to get to status of a counter manager in a cosmetic brand. I have been a qualified makeup artist for over a year now, and do most of my work on the side.
How did you first get into makeup? Do you have any special memories? Was there someone who got you into it? I have always had a thing for art and a fascination with the human face. As a child I would spend hours upon hours perfecting sketches on facial features and putting them together. I moved on to painting and photography. I discovered a taste for fashion and models while doing a photography course. During my free time, I had developed a really good friendship with one of the girls in my class who had started collecting these beautiful cosmetics I had never seen before. She introduced me to Lime Crime cosmetics and MAC. My love and fascination just grew and grew from there and I learned to apply my love for art and my newfound appreciation for beautiful cosmetic products as my medium.
What made you decide to study make up artistry? 
Playing and trying new things inspired me to want to become a makeup artist. I loved the idea of being able to create something temporary and beautiful (and at times interesting) on a face, whether it was to make them look beautiful for an event or to create a statement that could be used in high fashion. I love fashion and everything involved with it.
How do you juggle your love for makeup with work/family/other commitments? 
Makeup is very much my life. I am free as a bird these days and my only commitment is my day job which a fair percentage is involved in makeup. I involve my youngest sister with my love for makeup too, seeing as she is very similar to me when it comes to a talent for art. She loves me teaching her new methods and showing her new products. Of course, she gets spoiled by me on her birthday and Christmas.
Is there anything about makeup artistry that you find difficult or dislike? What has been your biggest challenge? 
I think the biggest challenge is getting your name out there and being recognised for your work and paid for it. I have done a few huge events that were volunteer work. They look fantastic on the CV, but I still find it a challenge to find the work I want with a paycheque.
Do you have any makeup artist role models? What do you admire about them? 
I highly admire the tutor I had when I was studying. Olivia Wildey is an amazing person and has a real talent. She is also selfless, always getting the students involved in fashion shows and jobs that she gets, keeping in contact so we can still be a team. If it wasn't for her I would never have experienced fashion week and other great opportunities. I also admire the fact that she works full time as a tutor and does her work outside as well. She is definitely going places, and I hope that I can someday be like her.
What has been your favourite makeup artistry moment to date?
DEFINITELY New Zealand fashion week 2013. Being a part of an amazing team, with Olivia being key makeup artist in Auckland for the Jetset Bohemian show. It was by far the best show I have been fortunate enough to be a part of. It's always high energy and exciting. Being able to put makeup on such beautiful faces that you know are going to be looked at and photographed is an experience like no other. Getting the models to look cohesive as a collective, but still suit their individual face shape and features is where your talent and skill shows through. You spend literally all day on your feet and racing around to keep up with the stylists and the hair stylists, you don't have time to eat, but you are having so much fun doing your thing you don't notice the hours go by. I would do it over and over again for sure. I can definitely see myself doing bigger shows in the future.
What is your most prized makeup item?
I know it's a cliché, but I really do love my NAKED 2 palette. I use it every single day I put makeup on. But if I had to choose something else, I would say my mac paint pot in "painterly". Best eyeshadow base ever.
What's the weirdest beauty item you own? 
Weirdest...probably my AVON all over bronzing stick. It literally looks like a lipstick, and I get strange looks when I apply it for contouring like I am drawing on my face with it. I love it though. I get the most precise application, I love it.
- Is there anything you regret NOT buying? Everything I don't already own! Haha. Seriously, everything I see, I want. But realistically I can't buy everything. Just wait till I earn a decent wage though... haha dreams are free!
- Tell me about your best beauty bargain. This was actually probably a skin care set by Clarins. I got a full size foaming cleanser with a 100ml toner, small serum, 75ml moisturiser, 75ml exfoliator all for $61. That's really impressive, and although it's not a cosmetic bargain, it still counts. Great skincare = Great makeup application!
Is there a makeup purchase you really regret? 
I don't think I really regret purchases because most of the time I do my research before buying. I look online at reviews and I ask my fellow beauty lover friends before I commit. If anything doesn't quite meet my expectations, I still find a use for it so it's not necessarily a waste. I must say though, I wasn't too fussed with the Nearly Naked foundation by Revlon.
Are you an impulse buyer? 
I have a habit of taking advantage of online purchase deals when I hear of them from Youtube beauty gurus. I WILL go to the recommended website and purchase the required amount of product to get a percentage off or free shipping. I have done that with a large Sugarpill order, where I bought the quad and five loose pigment shadows, all charged to the credit card of course just so I could get free shipping.
What is your biggest lemming?
I want all the things!
What has been your biggest beauty blunder?
One day when I was at course, we had a model come in to practice. I was chosen to apply the false eyelashes. I was so nervous and somehow I managed to glue her eye shut! That was embarrassing. The model laughed and said, "Well you know they are on properly without gaps when you can't open your eye". I didn't feel too stupid after tha, but have since found a really good technique for application now that doesn't allow for that to happen. Learning from mistakes!
Do you have a go to make up look/mani? 
My go to makeup look involves glowy skin with blemishes and dark spots covered using my pro longwear concealer. I like a peachy pink blush and well groomed brows. Brows are everything! I like to use neutral tones on my eyes the majority of the time with the darkest colour in the crease and outer V. I sometimes add a bit of drama with a cat eye liner. I have nice long black eyelashes, so mascara is only used to separate and curl with a bit of volume. Lipstick depends on my mood, but most of the time it's a nice peachy pink to compliment my cheeks. My makeup inspiration would probably be Mila Kunis.
Definitely check out Kimberley if you're based in the Waikato and looking for a makeup artist! I can say from personal experience that she is great at both hair and makeup, having had the pleasure of being made over by her.

Who else would you like to see interviewed, lovelies?

X
Lani

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments