Interview With Philippa Mae - Kiwi Youtube Guru!

Hey lovelies,

I hope you enjoyed last week's interview! This week I'm interviewing the gorgeous Philippa Mae, fellow Josh Groban lover and makeup junkie.




Tell me a bit about you!
I’m firstly a wife and mummy to my 2 gorgeous kids! Marley is 2 and her big brother Caed is 4. I’m a fulltime at-home mama throughout the week, but I am also a freelance makeup artist, I’m lucky that most of my booking are on weekends or in the evenings when hubby is home to take over. I live in Auckland, where there are always plenty of people heading somewhere exciting and wanting to be glammed up. I love my “job”!

How did you first get into makeup?
I’ve always been a bit of a girly girl, and experimenting with makeup was always fun for me. My friends and family would often ask me to do their makeup, and I became a bit of a makeup collector over time (“hoarder” would be more accurate). While I had always loved makeup, making it my career never crossed my mind when I was starting out in the “grown-up world”. I got a BA in anthropology, went on to work for a Government department for 4 years, then got married and popped out 2 kids.
After becoming a mother, I realised how making myself feel more presentable and fresh by applying some makeup made a huge difference to how my mood and outlook. It was then that I decided to pursue my love of giving makeovers as a career, as it meant I was able to still be around for my family. I studied at The Makeup School in Ponsonby, Auckland – the tutors are world class. It was such an amazing place to learn and I cannot speak highly enough of that place!

What made you decide to start Vlogging?
I already had a YouTube channel where I documented my pregnancies each week. (I even have a (clean) video of me giving birth to my daughter on YouTube!) and made videos relating to my kids, everyday life, recipe videos, etc.
The first makeup video I ever watched was from Blair Fowler (AKA JuicyStar07 on YouTube). I then spent an entire day exploring this world of makeup that I never knew existed! I was so shocked that it took me so long to find it, but I instantly knew I wanted to jump in and make my own makeup channel.

How do you juggle make up artistry/vlogging/ with work/family/other commitments?
I’m lucky that I have great in-laws who live close by, and will help out with childcare. Also, as I stated earlier, most of my makeup jobs happen outside of typical business hours, so my husband is on hand. My family comes first, then my makeup work, and then vlogging. I’m definitely trying to be more consistent with vlogging, but in the meantime you can find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram where I regularly post MOTDs, haul photos, and lots of other stuff beauty junkies might enjoy.


Is there anything about vlogging/Instagramming you find difficult or dislike?
This industry is 99% amazing - I’ve met some awesome friends (like Lani) through this whole makeup game. However you do get the occasional drama (females + hormones + social media + makeup = inevitable) but for the most part, it’s a great community.

Do you have any makeup/vlogging role models? What do you admire about them?
Absolutely! I love the work of Amber D – she is so talented and definitely someone I look up to. I also love Wayne Goss – he is a phenomenal makeup artist with his own product line, and he is constantly coming up with new techniques that are mind-blowing: POWDER BEFORE FOUNDATION?!! It turns out…yes! I also love Kandee Johnson on YouTube..not only a crazy talented MUA; the love and positivity she exudes in each and every one of her videos is palpable and never fails to make me cry (#truestory). A truly beautiful person, inside and out.

What has been your favourite makeup artistry/vlogging moment to date?
I have two! Firstly, getting to do my lovely sister-in-law’s makeup (actress Rose McIver) for the NZ Film Awards where she was presenting - that was a blast – but the BEST part was getting to go along with her. Starstruck is an understatement! So many amazingly painted famous faces! Secondly, I was lucky enough to sit down with Siobhan Marshall (Outrageous Fortune) in her home, and film with her. We talked about her favourite brands, makeup fails, experiences on set, and her adorable dog. She was such a gem!

Philippa and Rose


What is your most prized makeup item?
This is a tough one! I’d have to say MAC Mineralize Skinfinish in ‘Soft & Gentle’. It’s the perfect highlighter with just the right amount of shimmer and looks fab on all skin tones.

Is there anything you regret NOT buying? 
I was in MAC in Philadelphia, USA, several years ago. All I bought was a foundation. This was before I realised how much cheaper you could get MAC in the States! I’ve been kicking myself ever since. So yes, I regret not buying moooooore!!!

Is there a makeup purchase you really regret?
I made the mistake of buying Estee Lauder’s Double Wear before trying out for a good couple of weeks. As it turns out, I can’t wear it as it makes me break out! No other product has ever done that for me. So sad as it’s an amazing foundation!

What is your biggest lemming?
I am lusting after MAC ‘Playing Koi’ lipstick from the ‘Quite Cute’ collection a couple of years back. The girl in front of me got the last one. I would love to get my hands on one!

What has been your biggest beauty blunder?
OK, this is cringe-worthy: I bought a pale blue Constance Carroll eyeshadow to wear on my first day of highschool. The same day that I wore one of those fruit-scented roll-on lipglosses, and had my hair in a messy bun with about 20 of those sparkly butterfly clips. I felt so cool.

Do you have a go to make up look?
For everyday I reach for a BB cream, a nice peachy cream blush, a touch of NARS ‘Laguna’ bronzer, MAC ’Teddy’ liner a bit smuged out, then lots of Collection Cosmetics Does It All mascara. And lastly, either nude gloss or MAC ‘Blankety’ Lipstick. I like to keep it simple, but I LOVE any excuse to bring out the winged liner, false lashes and a bright pop of colour on the lips.

Philippa's go to products

I hope you enjoyed today's interview! Let me know if there's anyone you'd love to see interviews with.

X
Lani

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments